Respecting the Righteous Companions
The Shia devote a great respect for some of the companions of the Prophet (PBUH&HF) who closely followed Prophet and the Ahlul-Bayt before and after death of Prophet (PBUH&HF). Among these great companions, are the following individuals:
Abu Dhar al-Ghifari
The Holy Prophet said concerning Abu Dhar al-Ghifari that "Heaven has not shaded, nor has the earth carried a person more straight forward than Abu Dhar. He walks on earth with the immaterialistic attitude of Jesus, the son of Mary."
- Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p334, Tradition #3889
- Tahdhib al-Athar, v4, pp 158-161
- Musnad Ahmad Hanbal, #6519, #6630, #7078
- al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p342
- al-Tabaqat, by Ibn Sa'd, v4, part 1, pp 167-168
- Majma' al-Zawa'id, by al-Haythami, v9, pp 329-330
Ammar Ibn Yasir
The Holy Prophet had told Ammar Ibn Yasir along with his parents that:
"Family of Yasir, be patient, for your destination is paradise," Sunni Reference: Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p233,
The Holy Prophet also told him that "Ammar be cheerful, the aggressor party shall kill you."
- al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p383
- Sahih Muslim, English version, v4, chapter MCCV, Traditions #6968& #6970
The English translator of Sahih Muslim (Abdul Hamid Siddiqui) has written in the footnote of the above traditions that:
This narration is clearly indicative of the fact that in the conflict between Hadrat Ali and his opponents, Hadrat Ali was on the right as Ammar Ibn Yasir was killed in the Battle of Siffin fighting in the camp of Hadrat Ali. (Footnote of Sahih Muslim, English version, v4, p1508).
al-Miqdad Ibn al-Aswad
He is among the four men whom the Prophet (PBUH&HF) was commanded to love, as the Prophet said:
"God commanded me to love four, and He informed me that he loves them. People asked him: Messenger of God who are they? He said: Ali is from them ( repeating that three times ). And Abu Tharr and Salman and al- Miqdad."
Sunni reference: Sunan ibn Majah, v1 p53 Hadith 149
The Messenger of Allah also said:
"Every prophet was given by God seven righteous companions. I was given fourteen righteous companions". He included in them Ali, al- Hasan, al-Husain, Hamza, Ja'far, Ammar Ibn Yasir, Abu Dhar, Miqdad, and Salman.
- Fada'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v2, Traditions #109, #277
- Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p329, p662
- Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v1, pp88,148,149 from several chain of narrators
- al-Kabir, by al-Tabarani, v6, p264, p265
- Hilyatul Awliya', by Abu Nu'aym, v1, p128
Concerning him, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) said that "Paradise longs for three men, Ali, Ammar and Salman."
Sunni reference: Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p332, Tradition #3884
He was the person about whom the Prophet (PBUH&HF) said:
"God I ask Thee to teach him the interpretation and make him knowledgeable in religion and make him from the people of belief."
Sunni reference: al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p536