Two Types Of Intercession
According to the traditions there will be two categories of interceder:
(1) Those intercessor who have bodies and soul and who have an esteem position in His eyes and who are termed as intercessor.
(2) Those who do not possess body and soul cannot be termed as interceder but have a few characteristic by which they can be termed as interceder, we only termed below six such interceder which are very important and acceptable.
Deeds Eligible For Intercession
As Holy Prophet (S) said:
اَلصِّيَامُ وَ الْقُرْآنُ يَشْفَعَانِ لِلْعَبْدِ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ.
“Fasts and recitation of Qur’an will intercede us on the day of judgement for those people.”1
(2) Salat (Prayer) And His Obedience
Said by Maula ‘Ali (a.s.) in Nahjul Balagah:
فَاجْعَلُوا طَاعَةَ اللهِ شَفِيْعًا لِدَرْكِ طَلِبَتِكُمْ.
‘“For your needs make His obedience as your interceder.
(3) Forgiveness And Excuse For Sins
Maula ‘Ali (a.s.) said in Nahjul Balagah:
لاَ شَافِعَ اَنْجَحُ مِنَ الْاِعْتِذَارِ.
“No interceder more worthy than those who plead.”
Holy Prophet (S) said one out of six deeds will be trustworthy.2
(5) Sending Greetings On Mohammad (S) And His Progeny (a.s.)
Imam ‘Ali Ibn Husain (Imam Sajjad) (a.s.) in his dua no. 31 of Sahife Sajjadia:
وَ صُلِّ عَلٰي مُحَمَّدٍ وَّ آلِه صَلٰوةً تَشْفَعُ لَنَا يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَ يَوْمَ الْفَاقَةِ اِلَيْكَ.
“O Lord! Send blessing on Mohammad (S) and his progeny (a.s.) such blessings which will do our intercession on the day of judgement.”
Holy Prophet (S) said:
تَعَلَّمُوْا الْقُرْآنَ فَاِنَّه شَافِعٌ لِاَصْحَا بِه يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ.
“Learn the Holy Qur’an as it will act as intercessor on the day of judgement for those who are intimate with Qur’an.”